Why do people get obsessed with fictional characters?



In a world where the element of constant doesn’t exist, and time is ever so fleeting, fictional characters show the way to freedom. They help one escape reality, and make it seem as if the element of constant does exist in this world. People may leave you in the dust, but a character cannot. 

A character from a book, movie or cartoon, who the readers or audience can relate to, becomes their best friend. That character can give them comfort more than actual people around them. We feed our own delusions of the said character being real and give them life. The beauty of this, is that that character won’t leave you. That character is going to be present there, right there in your favourite book or movie, saying the same dialogues, always. We look for something constant. something to hold onto. But such doesn’t exist in this world, other than God himself. So we resort to obsess over things that don’t exist. 

I wouldn’t say that this obsession is wrong, as I sit here typing out this blog in my Elsa themed room. But it must be within a healthy amount. Sometimes in my life, when I was faced with loneliness, I’ll admit, I found joy only through my love for fictional characters. But at the same time, choosing fictional characters over people is something plain stupid (which is also something i’ve done) Yes people aren’t permanent. The friends i have right now, might not be with me forever, but a fictional character will be. But hey, isn’t that the beauty of it? It helps you cherish the people you have right now, and not take anyone or any moment for granted. I later gave up on my obsessions, or rather reduced it by a lot, and found that the only being who is constant, loving, relatable, and best of all, real, is God. 

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve forgotten how to live

How does the mind of youth work?

Maybe you're the problem