What if there is no tomorrow?

In my previous blog entitled ‘Fury: An Enlightenment’, I wrote a sentence of how tomorrow doesn’t always come, for one to fix his/her mistakes. Well, that very line inspired me to write this blog, as I feel that the concept of tomorrow is one taken for granted too often. 

What makes you think, that when you go to bed, there’ll be a new day tomorrow? Just what gives you that assurance? Even if you’re someone religious, you’d be equipped with the concept of second coming which even more signifies to you that tomorrow may not exist. And what about those of you who aren’t religious? Is it just because there’s always been a ‘tomorrow’ and thus you just believe that it’ll keep repeating? Mind you, we aren’t immortal. We are mere weak mortals living on this planet earth which is part of a humongous and unknown universe. Yet, we choose to resort to the idea that ‘tomorrow’ exists. It sounds foolish now doesn’t it? 

The concept of tomorrow has seemed stupid to me all my life. I was in 5th grade and went to bed hugging my dolls one night, and “tomorrow” I had to face the shocking news that my mother had cancer. A few years later I went to bed one night and “tomorrow” I found out I had covid. The next “tomorrow” I found out my grandfather left me. 6 months later, after staying up all night studying for my maths exam, “tomorrow” I found out my dad left me. Two weeks later, the same “tomorrow” I found out that my dearest grandmother, left me. Two months later, after a good night’s sleep in forever, “tomorrow” I found out I had dengue, in its severity. 

I could go on and on listing much much sickening events from my life, not to evoke pity of any sort but to truly emphasise how tomorrow doesn’t exist at all, nor should you trust that it exists. The next day is simply a concept that isn’t the privilege of many. 

So when you wake up tomorrow, be thankful. Thankful with every essence of your being because not everyone gets to do what you did- wake up. Be thankful that those around you have woken up too. Cherish every being, no matter how much they get on your nerves, to the fullest. Tell your family that you love them more often. ‘Live each day like it’s your last day on this earth’ is a famous quote I’ve heard many say, but I encourage you, Live each day like it’s everyone else’s, but your last day on earth. You will end every conversation peaceably, and love people with such compassion that it will fill you with joy. Live like it’s the last time you’re ever going to see all these people around you. Believe me, you never know when it is. 

Proverbs 27:1 ~ Do not boast about tomorrow, for you never know what a day may bring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve forgotten how to live

How does the mind of youth work?

Maybe you're the problem