What is Déjà Vu?


Google defines Déjà Vu as the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. Déjà Vu literally means - already seen.

This phenomenon is something most individuals experience at least a few times in their lives. When one goes through moments of similar nature, they get the feeling like they’ve already been here before. It causes one to recollect the past memory of this incident involuntarily. This could be good, as in some cases people remember the past with a smile, but the majority frown upon the past. It is something to be left behind, but déjà vu forcefully causes you to remember. 

So whenever my driver speeds a bit on the highway, I immediately think that my dad is the one driving, and I look at the driver seat and smile, and it slowly dawns on me that he’s no more, and it’s some random driver who’s name I don’t know, driving the exact same way that my dad used to. When I play charades with my friends, I am taken back to the lovely memories I had playing the same game with my childhood best friend. When I go to saree shops, and I see an old woman and her granddaughter buying matching sarees, I think of the moments when it was me and my own grandmother in that place. 

Such is the power of déjà vu. No matter how much time passes, the experiences and feelings you felt at some point of time, stay the same. You may forget them, but in your subconscious mind they remain, always.

 I’d like to think of déjà vu as a blessing. Although sometimes it breaks my heart immensely to remember the past, I’ve learned to rather be grateful for them. Hopefully, one day, we all would be able to look back at the past with a smile, and rejoice that we are going through situations of a similar kind again. These moments are what made you and I who we are. And I’m proud of who we are!

Isaiah 43:18-19, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve forgotten how to live

How does the mind of youth work?

Maybe you're the problem