Beauty in Solitude


When I was younger, I used to enjoy being alone. I was an introvert with extreme social anxiety. The energy I needed to talk to strangers is the amount of energy one needs to run a marathon for the Olympics. I had only 1-2 friends, and even then, hanging out with them felt like such a task. Being alone was absolute bliss. I would have so much fun by myself. I also felt very free. I could do whatever I wanted. I could sit how I wanted, eat how I wanted, laugh how I wanted, and there was no shame to be felt. 

However very recently, I’ve become way more outspoken and I want to make more connections, and not end my friend circle with 2-3 people. I talk to everyone I see, and I actually greet people rather than walking with my head down and hoping no one saw me walk by. I’ve improved..a lot. But ironically, the love I have for solitude hasn’t wavered a bit. Although I have wonderful friends and family, that I’m so eternally joyful about, I still find more comfort and peace alone. This time it isn’t because I’m socially anxious, or I’m scared of judging eyes or any of that. It’s simply something I enjoy. It’s a part of me that no matter how much I change, It’ll never die.

When I’m alone, I sit down and relieve that day’s events. It gives me more clarity as to what actually happened that day. It reminds me of the things to thank God for, and the things I should apologise to Him for and strive to be better. It helps me keep in touch with myself. Brushing past traumatic events like they’re nothing - solitude simply doesn’t let you do that. Those thoughts will come to you and they will haunt you. Well, in a good way. You can feel your true emotions and understand what hurts you, why you felt a certain way and what is the actual root cause of your emotions. 

Being alone is beautiful. The words ‘alone’ or ‘lonely’ are depicted to be such depressing words. Depends on how you treat it. If you’re all alone or feel lonely, please try to think of it this way. You’re getting to know yourself better. Other people can wait. In this fast-moving and unpredictable world, I urge you, my readers to slow things down, bring the world at your pace and spend much time in solitude!

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed - Luke 5:16


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve forgotten how to live

How does the mind of youth work?

Maybe you're the problem